There are many types of cat treats on the market that pets go crazy for. However, these industrial treats are not as healthy as the cat treat recipes you can make yourself at home.
Easily adaptable to the preferences and needs of your cat, at Sepicat we offer you 3 ideas of home-made treats that you can make with 100% natural ingredients. Get to work and surprise your cat with these delicious and easy-to-make snacks.
Easy and delicious cat treat recipes
Carrot and natural tuna biscuits
- 100g tuna
- 1 medium carrot
- 50g flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C before starting preparation.
- Shred the tuna and grate the carrot into very small pieces.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl, together with the beaten egg to make a dough and mix it well.
- Add the flour little by little until you get a dough with the right texture. Make small balls and place them on the baking tray with baking paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, making sure they do not burn. The biscuits should be crunchy, so the smaller they are, the quicker they will cook in the oven.
Salmon oatmeal biscuits
- 50g salmon
- 100g oats
- 1 egg
- 30g flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Crumble the salmon and mix it in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients, achieving a homogeneous dough that is not too sticky. If it sticks, you can add a little more flour.
- Sprinkle flour on your surface and knead the mixture to make your biscuits. Make little balls using your hands and flatten them then place them on the baking tray with baking paper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown.
Baked apple chips
- 1 apple
- 1 egg
- 30g oatmeal
- Carefully peel the apple skin and remove seeds ensuring there are none left behind. Cut the fruit into thin slices that are about 1 cm thick to make the chips.
- Beat the egg and mix it with the flour to make a homogeneous mixture.
- Coat the apple wedges in the previous mixture and grill them ensuring to flip them.
- Alternatively, you can also make them in the oven, cooking at 200ºC for about 15 minutes until they are crunchy
How to adapt your own cat treat recipes
Any type of pastry recipe can be adapted to make your own cat treats at home. From a delicious sponge cake, all kinds of biscuits, muffins, to your favourite baked appetisers. Just keep in mind that your cat’s nutritional needs are very different by following these tips:
- If you use canned meat or fish for your dishes, choose those that do not contain salt or oil and are suitable for pets.
- Remove bones from fish and meat, as they can cause choking.
- Do not add sugar. If you want to make a sweet recipe, you can use a little honey, or add fruits that cats can eat.
- Try including an extra vegetable such as courgette, carrots and green beans; delicious and very good for your cat.
At Sepicat we care about the health of all pets, and we love to offer you different cat treat recipe ideas so you can reward your cat with their favourite all-natural treats. Give them a go!